Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Briggs And Stratton Generator With Nikki Carb



I realize that there are numerous posts out there regarding engines not starting, etc, and the answers always seem to be cleaning the carb.
My question is what is the issue when i have taken apart the carb, cleaned out all the openings, replaced the inlet needle, gaskets, spark plug etc. ? The carb initially leaked gas, so that is why i cleaned it out. It generally starts on Choke but as soon as i move it the slightest bit towards Run, it stalls immediately.
Gas is new, oil is new.
What am i missing?
Thanks.

Something is still clogged in the carb. Take a thin wire and push it through all the jets and passage in the carb to make sure they're open and clear.

Posting the engine model, type and code would be very helpful. Have a good one. Geo

@Cheese. Thanks I will be pulling it apart again today and cleaning it thoroughly with a wire.
@Geo. Here's the generator info:
Briggs Stratton 5500 Storm Responder Portable Generator
Model: 030430
Rev: 01
Engine:
Model: 31A707
Type: 0117 B1
Carb: Nikki
The following numbers are etched onto the carb
697978
G02523
6922.RN
Thanks for your feedback. I'll let you know how today goes.

Thanks for your help guys. Seems like all was cleaned out well enough but it was user error that continued the problem. When I reassembled the carb, i did not properly connect the needle to the float, so basically the needle stayed plugged and did not allow any fuel in the bowl.
Thanks again!

Have some issues with running generator. Starts ok but when lever pushed to run dies. Have checked everything else on gen. and is a-ok. Attempting to pull carb but the 2 threaded bolts I guess fastening carb to engine which has hex (?) type ends not allowing me to get a grip and remove? Have tried vise grips but bolts are apparently made of soft metal and just crushes under the pressure put on them to remove? Anybody have any suggestions? I also can't figure out how the small rubber gasket fits over the float bowl to re-attach to the base? It's a funny looking thin gasket with different shaped openings? HELP!!!!

There is a 5/16 hex surface on the long carb studs so you can remove them. The gasket just lays in place on the white plastic part inside the bowl, then you put it in place and put the screws in.

I'm unclear as to which way to place the white plastic portion on the fuel bowl to match with the bottom of the carb. It seems there are two ways to do it?
Tx
Jim

No, just one. The fuel inlet has to match up to the inlet in the carb.

Well, it seems like I have it back together BUT I'm having trouble with the needle and how the seat fits in the white plastic piece? I've tried several ways of putting the seat in either side of the plastic and one way I have it placed it is too tight so the float won't move. The other way I can get the float to move ok, but getting it started (runs very rough) and spits gas out the air intake?? Can't figure out correct this? I've tried several different ways of the seat and needle but nothing seems to work. When it's runniing (very rough) there's smoke from the exhaust as if it's getting too much fuel? I talked to a local repair shop here but they know less than I do, and they were recommended by B/S?? I think what I need is a complete breakdown and rebuild the carb with diagrams to follow?? Any suggestions...I'm lost!!!!!!!!!! Tks Jim

The way you have it where the float moves is correct. If it's getting too much gas, you probably don't have the rubber gasket parts between the carb and bowl in place properly.






Tags: briggs, stratton, generator, nikki, carb, white plastic, Briggs Stratton, float move, fuel bowl, getting much, place white, place white plastic, rubber gasket, Thanks your