Monday, March 10, 2014

replace-a-laminate-countertop-with-granite



We are getting a home built with a track builder and were shocked by the prices quoted by them for granite kitchen countertops. We were quoted around 10000$ for granite countertops in a 9'x13' kitchen with an 4'x3' island in the middle. This is our first home and I have no clue about granite prices but this does seem pretty expensive to me.... for a total slab sq.ft. of approximately 40 sq.ft. we would be paying around 7870$ with a price of 197$ per sq.ft. Of course this includes installation and finishing and all but still seems too expensive coz many web sites seem to offer it for around 6 $ a sq.ft. (of course only the stone). We want to check it out at Home depot later this week but I wanted other opinions as well.
So we were wondering if this is normal pricing? Any experienced person out here... please help with this. Also we were wondering if we could go with the laminate they were offering as standard and then have a sub contractor pull out the laminate and put in granite. Is this a wise thing to do? Would it cost a lot to pull out the laminate and put in granite as opposed to just putting granite in the first place? People tell us this will keep us out of the kitchen for a week or so but we are fine with that (we plan to get it done even b4 we move in) but cost is my major concern.
Please help!

I just had a house built and went with their standard tops. I'm going to rebuild my kitchen and then have granite put in. The average price for granite tops installed is $55.00 a square ft. And then any profiles you add to it will be more.
The track home/townhome I have wanted $600.00 for a humidifier. I called someone after I moved in and it cost me $320.00 installed.

Thanks! I'll do a little more investigation on the prices at the local stores. I also read a lot about having a suitable substructure for the granite countertops because of the weight. If I go with laminate now would it cost a lot more to pull things out (the labor involved) and then add more supporting structure to put the granites on?

I'm going to the horses mouth A manufacturer of the granite to have mine done.
I just choose the basic options of what they give you with the cost of the home.
I wouldn't worry about weight issues. They wouldn't use cabinets that wouldn't support the granite.

The price of granite will vary from geo location to the next. $55 per sq. ft is high for the my area (NW Florida). I managed a granite company and $55 per sq. would get you one of the more expensive stones and that includes your edge profile.
Where do you live and does the house/kitchen require a lot of detail fabrication?
Tim

Hello Tim,
Thanks for your reply. I live in the Raleigh-Durham area in North Carolina. We are looking for Uba Tuba granite with a very good edge profile. The local home depot store gave us a price of 77$ a sq.ft. + 3.75$ a sq.ft for the labor involved in pulling out our existing countertop.
This is still a lot cheaper than what our builder is quoting us - 120$ a sq.ft. I would have thot our builder xxxxxxxx would have been cheaper given that they buy everything wholesale! So purely on a cost basis, doing it with our own subcontractor seems to be a better option.
I am just worried about the supporting structure that holds the countertops. I am worried that if we take the standard option for the countertops with our builder to be replaced later by us they might put standard material below the countertops and we wouldn't be able to put granite on it later. How can I make sure we wouldn't be stuck later on?
I'd appreciate any expert opinions on this. Thanks in advance.
Note: This post has been edited. Derogative remarks, comments, claims and or statements, etc. in reference to and or about products, parts and or services rendered by manufacturers, companies, dealers, agents, service personal and or representatives will not be tolerated nor allowed.

The countertop of choice has nothing to do with the structure of the cabinetry. Cabinetry is cabinetry when you pick the style you want. Even xxxxx (poorly made) kitchen cabinets can hold granite. A laminate countertop should only be screwed down, at worst case, a few drops of caulk to hold it down.
I think you're worrying about it too much my friend. People replace laminate countertops with granite all the time. Just relax and enjoy the improvement.
Make sure you get 18 gauge metal for the stainless steel sink. I would also go with an undermount. It looks a lot nicer than any top mount.
I would also recommend you go with what is called Instant Hot water. It has it's own spout and as simple as a push of the lever you'll get instant hot water. I would also highly recommend you get the push button start for the garbage disposal. It works by forced air and there is no way you can electricute yourself. It mounts to the surface of the countertop. It's not that expensive either.
Note: This post has been edited. Members should demonstrate progressive ideals by avoiding vocabulary considered offensive, discriminatory or judgmental.
Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator

there aren't very many cabinets that cannot support granite tops. You should easily be able to find $55 per sq. ft. granite tops with a choice of edge profiles included. At The Great Indoors, Home Depot and Lowes, you can choose most of the time from two styles of edge, included in the sq. ft. price. Don't worry about the weight. Laminate tops cost about 1/3 of granite but do not add to the value of real property. Granite is worth it if you can afford it.
Rick

A laminated granite top is the obvious choice. Don't be fooled by the term laminate. In the old days, granite was real expensive and was only found in the kitchens and baths of the most expensive homes. The granite was 4 centimeters thick. Now granite costs less because it is just 3 centimeters thick. Here is what makes the laminate granite so great. One you will never know it is a laminate. Two, with the laminate granite the slab is two centimeters thick, and the edge, usually comes in the good looking expensive bullnose edge, is 4 four centimeters thick. It looks like an expensive 4 centimeter edge. You will save money and look better than the 3 centimeter slab. The laminate edge has a two centimeter edge attached. I say to people, do you see how this is one piece of rock. They Yes. Then I explain that it is two pieces. You have to look really hard to tell. Look at the laminate edge and decide for yourself. The factory does an excellent job. The 2 cm slab is reinforced with a wood templete the is 2 cm thick so you really do get a 4 cm slab. You also save weigh. A 2 cm slab also lets you afford a full granite backsplash instead of 4 back splash. I looks just great. Just think, a granite top that looks like a 4 cm slab with a matching granite back slash. I looks great.

We are just completing a high end custom home in Texas, and the granite in the kitchen was around $50-$60 per foot.

Check out www.granitetransformations.com
Saw this 2 wks ago on a HGTV show on kitchen trends for 2005.
This company will apply granite slabs over your existing laminate countertops, without the demolition. Should save you some dough. Hope this helps.

I think it isn't simple to compare the granite countertop unless we know the details. An L shape counter top made from 2 or 3 pieces of pre fabicrated 2x8 granite put together is much cheaper than a same size custom counter top made from one whole piece of granite. However the price you have from the bilder is way too high.

If anyone out there knows where to find granite laminate countertops in Illnois can they send me an email. I have called and visited many places and they tell me this product does not exist. I am sure it must but I can't find where.

I think that post meant Laminate that looks like granite. IOW not granite at all but laminate.

Hello My husband and I installed pre fabricated granite countertops. In Sacramento you can buy 8 foot prefab slab for 299 plus tax. To have pieces custom made it would be much more however in most track homes you will be able to use prefab slab. Slab is very easy to install if you have a few strong people to help you lift the slab. Atlantic Stone in Sacramento is where we go.
Respectfully,
J

Check out www.granitetransformations.com. They are a world-wide company offering engineered granite that goes over existing surfaces for countertops and shower walls. No demolition. No maintenance. Ten year warranty. Cost is about $43-47 per square foot. Takes only two days in the average kitchen. Looks great and cheaper and better than granite slabs.

There are also places you can get prefab 99x26 with 99x6 splash bullnose granite for $330 a slab... or you can get it custom made for $26/sf along with sink hole fees if you want undermount or overmount (all you do is play it over your cabinets and do proper install).
I know of a local store that delivers across the states. If you look a little bit on the internet you'll definitely get the prices knocked down.. Real 2cm thick
granite, not engineered and not fake..

We are getting granite countertop installed but there will be a 1/4 space between the counter and the back tile. The laminate countertop we have is 1 1/2 thick the granite is 1 1/4 thick . the company told us to just put 1/4 round in the space. Is this how the space is covered? Shouldn't the company elevate the granite to avoid the space?

Originally Posted by chooch
the company told us to just put 1/4 round in the space. Is this how the space is covered?
i would talk to other companies.
i had granite install where laminate was. it was an exact fit.

Hey all,
I'm hoping you can help me out with a dilemna.
I'm going through a condo reno project (kitchen and two bathrooms) right now and have spent nearly 20k already.
New SS appliances, new laminate countertops, new sinks, new faucets, new backsplash, new pantry cabinet, undercabinet lights, new bathroom wall tile, new tub, new shower stall, new bathroom floor tile, new bathroom lighting, new bathroom cabinet and new paint.
I live in a high rise in Burnaby and my goal is to get my place on the market ASAP.
The thing that I'm struggling with right now is one of my reno guys is making the remark that I should have gone with stone countertop and I can't get it out of my mind. I've already paid for the new laminate countertop and ripping it out and putting in a new stone one will cost me around 2500 bucks plus a delay on putting the place on the market.
What the hell do I do??

look at your comps and do what they do.






Tags: replace, laminate, countertop, granite, centimeters thick, laminate countertops, laminate granite, granite countertops, granite laminate, granite tops, looks like, thick granite